GFPS budget committee meeting is May 3

Great Falls Public Schools’ budget committee meets May 3 at 10 a.m. in the district office at 1100 4th St. S.

During Monday’s regular school board meeting, Trustee Jeff Gray encouraged members of the public to attend and learn about the budget or share ideas.

State eases some licensing requirements for military spouses with out-of-state certifications

He said there is an active group that will be pushing harder over the next year to educate the community about the state rules that allow the state to fund 80 percent of a school district’s budget and leaves the other 20 percent to local taxpayers.

“Local taxpayers need to step up to the plate,” Gray said.

GFPS groundbreaking for new elementary is May 10

This year, the budget committee and the school board opted not to pursue a levy to make up shortfalls in the operational budget but indicated they will likely seek a levy next year.

The shortfall will mean more cuts at GFPS, administrators have said.

Three candidates file for three GFPS board seats; no election in May

During Monday’s meeting, several people spoke about cuts in the arts and asked that the board continue to support those programs.

GFPS to forgo levy this year

Gray said he challenges the community to learn more about the budget and the educational programs at GFPS.

“These cuts are real cuts,” Gray said, that are hurting the students and the community.