The Electric is an independent news website focused on Great Falls and Cascade County, as well as Malmstrom Air Force Base and the Montana National Guard.
The Electric is run by Jenn Rowell, a journalist with more than a decade of journalism experience. Others involved will include former journalists in the Great Falls area and across Montana as well as other smart people with a knack for writing and informing the community.
Jenn previously covered city government/military issues for the Tribune and before that, covered the military and other beats for papers in Alabama and Virginia, as well as did communications work for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and the National Museum of Health and Medicine. She has served on the boards of the Society of Professional Journalists and Military Reporters and Editors.
Her journalism awards and training include:
- International Association of Fire Fighters, Media Award, 2016
- Best of Gannett Quarterly Award, 2014
- Attended Medill National Security Journalism Initiative’s conference in June 2011 and invite-only training workshop in October 2014
- President’s Award, Society of Professional Journalists, 2010
- National Association of Secretaries of State Medallion, Alabama Secretary of State, 2010
- Jim Crawley Award, Military Reporters and Editors, 2009
- SPJ Virginia Pro scholarship recipient, 2005
- Selected for 2018 Poynter workshop on covering jails
- Attended 2018 LION Publishers Summit in Chicago
The kind of stories you can expect to find here: how local government works; things that seem boring, such as taxes, budgets, municipal code and ordinance updates, but actually impact your life; analysis of economic development, downtown revitalization, and the local business climate; food security, the local food network, agriculture and local impact to the bigger food picture in the U.S.; news from the Montana National Guard and Malmstrom Air Force Base, which will often include broader nuclear issues, military and national security stories.
The kind of stories you won’t likely find here: cat videos, lists of the best places to retire, celebrities who crashed their car in Montana, car accidents, petty crime or car chases (unless there’s a danger to the public over an extended period of time). You can find that kind of information elsewhere. But that’s not to say we won’t have a little fun with stories about enjoying the outdoors in the Great Falls region or the hunt for the best burgers in the area.
Questions or story ideas, get in touch at email@example.com. Want to send some documents or other snail mail? Ship it to The Electric, Jenn Rowell, P.O. Box 2643, Great Falls, MT 59403.